Everybody has a different definition of what “comfort food” means to them. For me, it’s spaghetti with meat sauce (otherwise known as spaghetti bolognese). It was my favorite meal in my school cafeteria, and you KNOW I made a spaghetti sandwich with my dinner roll (you did it, too, don’t deny it!). This spaghetti bolognese recipe takes only about 30 minutes from start to finish. If you know what’s good for you, you’ll make sure it becomes a part of your “comfort food” lexicon!
- 1 lb ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jar pasta sauce of your choosing
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. anise seed
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle olive oil into pan. Saute onions and mushrooms until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.